BENEFITS OF BEING A SYNERGIES WORK MENTOR
Our mentors are truly amazing and we are honored that they donate their time to support startup businesses of talented individuals with disabilities.
Why do people become mentors?
- They want to give back.
- They were helped when they were starting up and they want to pay it forward.
- They have a loved one with a disability.
- They want to be with truly talented and innovative individuals.
- They believe in creating a socially just world.
- They want to meet and build relationships with other mentors.
WHAT IS THE TIME COMMITMENT?
There are no strict time requirements. We are creative and flexible and can work with your schedule. Typically our mentors give up one day a month to meet with startups. Some choose give more time to help see the startup through the incubation and acceleration phase and beyond.
What do we ask of you?
- Be socratic.
- Expect nothing in return (you’ll be delighted with what you do get back).
- Be authentic / practice what you preach.
- Be direct. Tell the truth, however hard.
- Know that the best mentor relationships eventually become two-way.
- Be responsive.
- Adopt at least one startup every single year. Experience counts.
- Clearly separate opinion from fact.
- Hold information in confidence.
- Clearly commit to mentor or not to. Either is fine.
- Know what you don’t know. Say I don’t know when you don’t know. “I don’t know” is preferable to bravado.
- Guide, don’t control. Teams must make their own decisions. Guide but never tell them what to do. Understand that it’s their company, not yours.
- Accept and communicate with other mentors that get involved.
- Be optimistic.
- Provide specific actionable advice, don’t be vague.
- Be challenging/robust but never destructive.
- Have empathy. Remember that startups are hard.